Wednesday, April 9, 2008

44

Just to be sure I had some kind of warning should any bad things try to get into the office, I took the time to put wards on the windows and the thresholds of the office. They might not stop a creature, but the spells would hurt it and slow it down, giving me time to either fight or run. I was a big fan of running. You don't get hurt if you're not around to be hurt. Once the wards were finished I went to bed to catch up on some much-needed sleep.
I was awakened by an insistent knocking on my office door. I blearily turned over in bed and checked the time. 12:02 a.m. What kind of sadistic person knocks at midnight? One that was going to knock until doomsday, I turned over in bed and covered my ears with the pillow, which muffled the sound nicely. I burrowed under the blanket into its comforting warmth and darkness. “Good Morning Ms...” which came from under the sheets with me. I was awake and all the way across the room in one long, adrenalin-laced leap from the bed. I looked back at the bed to see Megan/The Darkness sitting upon it.
“... Fatelli, it is nice to see you so awake and chipper this morning” the Darkness finished, and gave me a smile that would have melted butter if the eyes could have matched it. It made my skin crawl. Megan/Darkness got off the bed and sidled over to the desk, and seated it/herself in the near chair. “You had said we should talk on the morrow, so here we are. It is the morrow after all.” the Darkness smirked at me.
“I had hoped to get in some sleep before we talked. “ “You can't have everything Ms Fatelli, where would you put it?” “Very funny, now would you mind telling me what was all so important that when I said we would talk tomorrow, you had to show up two minutes past the hour?” The Darkness/Megan smiled again, and said “all is not what it seems, you should know how appearances deceive so thoroughly, Ms Fatelli.”
I about lost it. It comes here at two past midnight to spout cliche's? I itched to grab it and throw it out the window, minus Megan. “I can assure a complete situation of truth for you Ms Fatelli. We conclude our negotiations, Megan goes free, and I get you as a conduit, as we have tentatively developed as an agreement..” I glared at the creature. “I said no before, and say no again. The deal is not going to be made, so remove yourself and let me get some sleep.” Megan/Darkness smiled, showing teeth like a predator. “I shall go and we will visit again, later today, after you have had time to rest. I look forward to concluding our bargain.” Megan stepped into a shadow and melted away like a black mist. I tried to go back to sleep and saw Megan's terror every time I closed my eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home