Friday, March 28, 2008

41

“Let's talk then”, I said to it, and I was half-proud of myself that my voice didn't waver or crack. “My offer is three weeks as your conduit, and you then leave back to your own realm and no longer lay claim to anyone here ever again that has held a contract with you. You release them completely. In return you will be allowed to ride me while I work the spell and confront the dragon if it shows.”
“Oh, my, hardball I believe it is called, this will add spice to our negotiations. I will enjoy you as conduit Ms Fatelli. I will not relinquish control, but borrow your body under my full control for the next nine years, or time being considered sufficient to me desires.” it countered with a a unconcealed joy. Great, it loved haggling. It should have been a fishwife, or got a contract with one.
We offered and counter-offered for the better part of three hours, way past when I was supposed to see Cobb at Underhill. We were deadlocked, unwilling to move on the final part of the contract. The concessions that I'd managed to get were thus, it would release Megan and hold no control afterwards over her, that I would be the conduit but it would have control for half of my day each day. The downside was that Megan's contract would remain in effect until the end of my three year stint as a conduit, then it would relinquish Megan and declare Megan's contract null and void. She'd be free again. And I'd be stuck with the Darkness.
“No, this doesn't work, it won't work, and I'm not going to try and make it work any more.” The Darkness watched me and I felt the pressure of the gaze. “Why not, you argued quite decisively Ms Fatelli, I find I have enjoyed this mental sparring much more than the terror I've invoked the past three years with this young human. You will be an excellent conduit.” The confidence that it oozed from its voice was disconcerting, and I felt it trying to stroke my hopelessness, trying to convince me to give up, to let go, and agree as is. Lose my identity to the Darkness, I was going to do it anyways, everything dies and enters the dark.
I shook my head violently to stop the thoughts. This thing was insidious, and it wanted me as a conduit badly. Just how badly though was the question. It would have to wait. Maybe a delay would make it careless. Not damn likely, but I wanted to delay things some. At least give me time to think.
“I'll talk with you tomorrow, right now I'm late for another appointment. You know where I live here, so drop by tomorrow and we'll pick this up again.” “Agreed, I am savoring her hope and terror, Ms Fatelli, this has been most entertaining. Tomorrow, the same time.” The darkness roiled out from Megan and I saw tears on her cheeks as the Darkness commanded her body to do. The darkness filled the room and then receded, flowing away like water receding off a shore. The door was a black, square hole for a moment and then the darkness lightened to a grey and the door solidified and I was back in my office alone, and I sat down and pulled a bottle of scotch from the bottom drawer of my desk. I didn't indulge very often, but I wanted a drink badly. The liquid searing down my throat helped focus me, and I put the bottle back down for the next 'emergency'.
I got the blanket out of the Murphy bed and wrapped myself in it and sat at the desk. I knew Cobb would be waiting impatiently for me, but I didn't want to go yet. I needed time to get myself composed and ready to face him. It was about a half hour later that the door rattled angrily, and I heard Cobb's voice. “Ms Fatelli, answer me this moment! We had a meeting to update our situation, and I will not tolerate being snubbed in such a manner!” I stayed in the blanket and shivered.
“I can feel you in there Ms Fatelli, either come answer this door or I shall break it in!” Let him try was all I could think when he said that. I knew the door would hold against most human spellcasters, and nearly all human thugs. Then I was up and unbolting the door before he could smash the glass. I don't care how apathetic I was at the time, having someone you owe things to lose fingers or an arm to cutting glass is not a good idea. It sours a relationship.
Cobb stood on the other side of the door, haughtily looking down on me from his near seven foot height. “You did not show at the time designated Ms Fatelli, this cannot continue if I am to lend my assistance. I need to know everything so that I can”, he paused a moment, and I could hear the shift in his words, “assist in an effective manner.” “Mr Cobb, or what the hell your name is, this is a very bad time to be trying to tell me what to do or how to do it. In fact it is a very bad time to visit, and right now I want you to leave. I will talk with you tonight. Good day.”

1 Comments:

Blogger SFWriter13 said...

I am thoroughly enjoying this! You have such an easy way of writing in the first person that makes me envious. :)

More, more, more!

March 28, 2008 at 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home