Sunday, March 16, 2008

35

He relaxed as he got a good look, and lowered his hands to his side, and Larry, after a quick spell to spot illusions, dropped the barrier. Cobb started forward, a half-smile on his face, and then pulled up short and straightened, becoming once again the tall, odd, fae. “I came Ms Fatelli, to determine your progress on re-opening the way.” “I think we may have an idea, but it still needs the details hammered out yet” I said to him. Larry added quickly, “Thanks for driving that creature away, how'd you do it anyways? That thing is seriously bad news.”
“Fae are privy to some powers more effective than yours against such a creature”, Cobb said haughtily, and made a dismissve motion with his hand. “Yes, I understand that sir”, said Larry, “but if you could tell me, I'd like to at least try as Fernie, er, Ms Fatelli, has been attacked twice before by that creature or one like it.” “I said, Mr. Potter, that my magick is more effective against it. Your type of magick would at best create a stalemate. There is no more to discuss”, and he made that dismissing hand gesture again. Larry looked at Cobb for a moment, and let the conversation go, though he clearly wasn't satisfied with Cobb's answer.
Cobb walked over to me after the last of the spell dissipated. “Ms Fatelli, I would like to know what this solution you hinted at consists of.” I looked at him, and decided just to be ornery. “When we get the details figured out you'll be the first to know, I promise you.” I turned to look at Fawn, and she was watching both Cobb and I with that 'cop look'. She had sensed something and was looking for clues to what it was. Cobb decided to get surly at that moment, as his whole demeanor changed. He stood straighter, and a haughty sneer formed on his face.
“I do not care for human promises, I care about the Way being re-opened Ms Fatelli. That is your service. And that is all I care about.” the words grated out at odds with his bearing. What was he mad about? I'd think that we actually had an idea might have made him happy, yet here he was berating me because of something, and I had no clue what it was. “Thank you very much for showing up to yell at me, now could you go back to Underhill and get out of my hair? I'm working on the Way, tough if you don't like it. I'm getting the job done, that's what the bottom line is.”
We glared at each other for a few moments, and I caught Fawn smiling out of the corner of my eye. I started to turn to snap at her, but Cobb snarled, “Ms Fatelli, I expect to be kept abreast of developments, do so. I expect a report first thing tomorrow morning”, and he stepped out of the room and stalked to the front door. I started to go after him but Fawn grabbed my arm and held me back. I turned on her and pulled my arm free.
“What the hell are you doing? I'm going to go rip his face off!” “Ease up Fernie”, Fawn said, almost chuckling, but she grabbed my arm again, and this time held on hard enough that I couldn't get free. “Oooh, has he got it bad” she said with a laugh. “What are you talking about? What's he got bad? Oh I know, he's got a attitude that badly needs someone to smack around the block it a few times” I snarled at her.
“No Fern, what I mean is that he's got a crush on you! I'd never believe it if I hadn't seen it. A fae mooning over my sister.” I stared at her, slack jawed. Cobb infatuated with me? What the hell for? “You have got to be kidding me, that guy hates my guts. He backed me in a corner so I had to take the service, or he'd have made you do it!” “I know shorty, I know, you told us that already. But he is definitely after you Fern. I think you ought to talk to him some more. Maybe you can get him to help with that plan of yours.” My sister the matchmaker.
“Don't even think it Fawn, that guy is an arrogant prick that needs his ego shrunk seriously before I even think about something like that. And just where do you get off telling me that anyways, we just about got ourselves killed here if not for that idiot....” and that brought me up short. We did probably owe our lives to Cobb showing up here. I kind of felt bad about the fight now looking at it from that point, but what'd he expect us to do? Thank him? Yeah, that's exactly what he'd expected. And he got miffed when we didn't. I did owe the thanks, but it left a sour taste in my mouth. You don't expect thanks, you just enjoy it when you get it.
This was going to make working with him harder than ever. Now I had to do the job and not lead him on in any way. Everything I did would be magnified according to what he thought I meant. Gods what a stupid thing to happen. I just did my best to put it out of my mind and started helping Fawn and Larry clean up the mess in the front room. As soon as we finished, Larry cast a barrier over the door to keep the cold and unwanted visitors out until he could get a new door. I went back to my office to get some sleep before I went to see Cobb.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home