Sunday, February 17, 2008

17

The swirling power and buffets of wind disoriented me, and felt like they continued for hours, then it was over so suddenly, I fell to my hands and knees completely disoriented and thankful the ride was over. The first thing I noticed was the clean, earthy smell of the ground. Everything seemed brighter and more, exuberant. Hell, even the earth seemed to feel content and happy. There was a kind of sadness too. It was strange, smelling emotions and not feeling them.
There was no sun but light seemed to come from the very air, and as I pushed myself upright, I noticed that no one cast a shadow here. “Come this way”, said Cobb, “We will see to your comfort, and then we will discuss your service.” He led me along a footpath that led into a gully. As we entered, there was another disorienting surge of magic and I entered into a tremendous foyer.
There was a large circular stand to my left that held wraps and cloaks of many different sizes and all different bright colors. Just behind the rack stood a large wooden box set on its short end and bolted to the wall. Grooves in the box held swords, a mace, and a brass hand-cannon of some kind.
To my immediate right was a huge clay statue that held a gleaming silver sword in one hand, and a weapon that looked like a maltese cross made out of silver. Curiosity would have to wait though, as Cobb merely removed his trench coat and negligently threw it at the circular rack, which extended a hangar and neatly caught the coat and set it to the rack in an open slot. I kept my sweatshirt, it was much cooler in here than it had been in the open air outside.
In front of us was a huge wooden stairway which looked twenty foot across, and curled clockwise around a wide latticed pillar. As I got closer, the lattice revealed itself to be a plant or plants grown together, and the steps were molded from branches I believed. We mounted the stairs and he led me to a second floor that was like a ballroom. The room seemed about a hundred feet across and was barren of any furniture except for three rows of, and I kid you not, red British phone booths.
I decided to keep my mouth shut and see what Cobb would do. He had stopped, as if waiting for a question. When I didn't ask, he walked over to the fourth booth in from the end of the second row, and entered. I followed him in and entered into a large study. Directly opposite the doorway was a fireplace with a cheery crackling fire, a large white polar bear rug lay on the floor in front of the fireplace. To the right of the polar bear rug was a large desk with a glass top. On the desk was a flat panel computer. “I thought you said steel and iron couldn't be here.” I said to Cobb. He smiled and said “special order, all wiring is gold, and any screws are plastic. Not as durable, but it doesn't have to be.”
He gestured over to the other side of the room, where I saw a sofa aimed at a wall with a three-foot by five-foot black rectangle mounted on it. “That's a television? what's THAT doing here? On second thought, let me guess, custom built-no-steel just gold and plastic along with the circuitry.” I said sarcastically. You think you'd see nice natural tings like grown wood statues or beautiful carvings, but this was a real surprise to me. Another example of don't assume anything.
Cobb gestured and a silver service tray with two cups of hot cocoa rose up out of the desk and settled on it. He picked one up and handed it to me. “I claim visitor rights.” I told him coldly. Fae were notorious for offering something and that something NOT being a gift, but an item requiring recompense. That's how some humans get trapped in Underhill. You accept something, you are obligated to pay for it one way or another. I wasn't going to have another debt placed on me.
Vistor's rights mean that you ARE a visitor and cannot be coerced into staying with tricks. It's weird, but the fae are like that, weird little, or weird nasty laws that bite you if you don't know about them. Fae cannot lie, but that doens't mean they have to tell you all of the truth. He sighed, “You are perceptive, I didn't think that it would work, but we do have to play the game Ms.Fatelli.”
“Play it without me, and let's get this service done with Cobb, or whatever your name is, I don't like being here.” “Fair enough, but first let's sit and relax a moment.” He smiled, a real, genuine, smile that almost melted my knees. This guy could turn on the charm! I shook my head to clear the charm. “Quit that! You already have a service, quit trying to get more out of me!”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home