Friday, February 15, 2008

16

The judge looked over at me. “Was this being in your hire before these events took place?” he said curtly. “No sir, I hired him just before I came here as a second if things came to a duel.” I told him. The judeged waved his hand at Zik'k and said “No, you are not bound by the judgement here. and don't ask me to adjudicate your arrangement, I had quite enough manipulations for one day.”
Zik'k sagged in relief and then stared guiltily over at me. I knew he didn't want any part of what I was going to have to be doing for the fae, and knowing the fae, I wouldn't quite be certain what kind of trouble I would be in until I was hip-deep in it. With fae, nothing is ever as it looks. I know I said that before, but it really, really bears repeating. hey may be one of the 'good guys', but even good guys can be a royal pain in the ass.
I waved at Zik'k and motioned him to come over. He trundled warily to me. “Sooooo, what's next?” he asked with a nevous innocence. “I get to work for the fae, and you get to go home. You finished the job Zik'k. You were here if I needed help, and thank gods and grandfathers we didn't have to do anything.” I told him morosely. I was in a funk, and being the drama-queen I am at times, I didn't care who knew it.
“Uh, yeah, so how do I get back home then?” He looked at the road. “Walk?” I shrugged “Walk, that's a good idea Zik'k. See you later.” “Ms. Fatelli, come over here please, we need to go to Underhill to prepare you for your service to me” Cobb said happily. I noted that he was about the only one that was happy about the situation. I wondered why.
I gave a mental shrug , told my idiot self to shut up, and looked back towards the road. Zik'k had wasted no time at all and was already jogging back towards town. I turned back to Cobb, and walked over next to him. He looked down at me. “Leave anything of iron or steel here, Ms. Fatelli. I promise to bring you back here, and until then I will have my daughter watch over your vehicle and things until we return.” I glared back at him, then slid my stare over to his daughter. “Fine, let's get this charade over with, okay?” I growled at him. I shucked my my shoes , my belt, earrings, and pendant.
He quirked an eye at me. Oh, yeah I thought sourly, the jeans have steel buttons. I slid out of my jeans and he handed me a dress to wear. I batted it away and stalked over to my car. “no, I am not accepting gifts! I'm not being fooled again!” I dug in the back and pulled out a piar of sweat pants and a sweatshirt, and put them on. I then reached behind and took off my bra, the wires were steel, so a no-no. I checked myself over. No steel or iron anywhere. I walked back to Cobb, and he gestured, and opened the way into Underhill.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home