Saturday, January 19, 2008

5

I knocked his hand away and turned on him. “Got a reason for that?” I said angrily. He walked over to a point about ten feet from the door and pointed at the ground. I looked closely but didn't see anything. As if he could read my mind, he said, “Use your sight, Ms. Fatelli.” I gritted my teeth and focused. A shimmering half-bubble came into view around the door. “An alarm. Break the the shell, and they know you are here.” he said in a neutral tone, like a schoolteacher lecturing a especially dense student.
I looked the door over and saw the focus was a largish nail driven into the door, with mistletoe wrapped around it. It wasn't a faerie spell then, but that left a lot of choices. I abandoned the idea of a back entrance, and held my sight up as we walked around the outside of the building. All the first floor windows were covered the same way, yellowish hemispheres around the mistletoe wrapped iron nails. The only location not covered was the glass front door.
Most likely it wasn't warded the same way as there was no wood to drive a nail into. Cobb stayed back from the door, like before. “This seems the only way in, what you want to be there's something nasty inside?” I snarled rhetorically. I was nervous and impatient. Cobb shrugged elaborately and waited to see what I would do. I waited for a moment and looked around. “I don't like waiting, and if we're going in, we might as well announce it”
I went back to my car and got out the possibles bag. I got my pistol out and put it on, then put on the chicken plate. I strapped the machete to my hip, picked up the baseball bat, and then went back to the door. I picked up a rock and threw it at the front door, cracking the painted over glass. Cobb lost his composure and snarled viciously at me. “My daughter is in there human!” “So go get her!" I yelled back as I used the baseball bat to hammer at the glass. Two quick swings opened up a jagged hole that I could slip through.
I didn't wait for Cobb, speed was more important to me now. I looked down the short, narrow hallway with my sight to spot any traps. There was some greenish glow about 10 feet ahead of me hovering near the center of the hallway. I threw the bat at it, and flattened myself against the wall, anticipating some kind of effect. The bat flew through the cloud and there was a blistering pulse of heat, and the bat landed on the other side of the cloud badly charred.
The cloud had dissipated almost to nothing, so I charged through it, and got singed as it pulsed with heat but nowhere near what the bat had taken. I heard someone crying further in. Cobb's daughter most likely. I scanned my surroundings. The hallway ended twenty feet further on at an interior door. Bathroom doors were on the left side of the hall just before the end door. I left the smoking baseball bat and charged the door, hoping I had enough momentum to pop the door open, and just about dislocated my shoulder when I hit it. It was a metal door with a wood veneer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home