Monday, July 23, 2007

Rough Cut, writing origin

I broke this post into two so it would be easier to work. The previous is an origin idea that developed for a character in City of Heroes. The idea here was to be vague as there were only vague notions as to why things were happening. Too, the second reason was to give space as the character itself was still very unformed as an idea, and this 'fudging' of the origin allows for flexibility as the character personality becomes more defined. The downside is that it is nebulous and this can create problems also as the character could deviate quite a bit from any origin idea and lose itself in a confusion of only loosely tied pieces, rather than a coherent story.

But the point is that ideas do not have to be completely formed to be used. A fully formed and well-grounded idea makes the writing process much easier as the roadmap is straightforward. Vague ideas make the trip a lot harder, but it's like taking the road less traveled, no telling what might be found along the road.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mega D said...

I completely agree about ideas not needing to be . . . corporeal? . . . to be useful.

Most of the ideas I have are often shapeless, but they find form when I interact with others, when I talk to others (i.e., consult with my creative brain trust of which you are a part :) ), or when circumstances cause a specific "reaction" with a character. (Also, when I hear the right music. It's amazing how a soundtrack can shape something.)

My favorite is when a character's actions are less me imposing what I *think* the character should be doing and more the character speaking up for itself.

Of course when I don't like what it says, I try to mold it a bit more to something I can manage. Seven times out of ten, though, I'd say that it tells me to get bent and does what it wants anyway. :)

Plus, in the realm of character evolvement, it's entirely possible that a character will end up very different from how it started. So when you talk about deviation from origin ideas, it's possible that it happens naturally throughout the course of the character's development.

Character development, of course, is something I strive for. It's something that doesn't happen all the time, and when it does happen, it's rarely character-driven and more circumstance-driven. Not to say that one doesn't happen without the other because character development is displayed in choices, actions, and reactions, and circumstances can certainly generate those things. If you were to take a character over a 6 or 12 month time period, would the character choose differently at the beginning versus at the end? Why? What changed?

It's why I get all wound up about characters who don't go anywhere. It could that they're always the same, they have no flaws, they have no distinctive personalities, or whatever, but I quickly lose interest in a character that shows no development of any sort.

Anyway, enough rambling. ::read's Raven's origin story::

--Kit

July 23, 2007 at 12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home