Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Arrgh

Leveling and levels in City of Heroes and City of Villains is a true pain. I seem to have the greatest of skill to hit those in-between levels that friends and acquaintences are nowhere near and thus must either solo or be SK'd in the game continuously and feel like a burden on the rest. I saw it from the other side when I was the L-40 mentor to L-15 Timetripper (Kill) and watched rather helplessly as she got routinely slaughtered by the Carnival of Shadows in short order. My efforts were about worthless as I am not able to draw aggro like a good tank or scrapper and my flash doesn't always stun everyone, and so Timetripper was facing two sometimes three or more enemies alone, and as a low level SK'd, she didn't have the number of attacks needed to help herself out of the jam. I felt pretty bad about that debt she accumulated, and I see why even the best of friends are reluctant in that circumstance to SK such a disparate member. I think it would be nice to have two or so characters that were a dedicated unit that could stick together as a team, so everyone could have a good time together. I think this was one reason dark renaissance fell apart beyond the RL meltdowns of a former member, people didn't have anyone to work with.

3 Comments:

Blogger SFWriter13 said...

Yeah, we were discussing that yesterday. What is it that makes a group of characters "click"? It's more, I think, than personalities (of either the characters or the players).

Is it more than a shared background? (Would Scott and Thad work as well together if they weren't designed as brothers?)

Is it a common goal? (The goal of DR was somewhat braod, but specifics like YJ and Winter's mutual hatred definitely worked.)

Or is it a shared evolution where each character finds a complementary way to relate to the other characters? (Look at how Kit and Notion's relationship evolved.)

Maybe there isn't a single answer . . .

July 17, 2007 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Warwriter Widow said...

Don't worry about the debt - I'm not in the game entirely for the XP, you should know that by now. :)

You're absolutely right that I felt like I didn't have the right attacks/defenses to face Carnies, and that was the reason I died so much. So now I can understand the abilities of enemies match the abilities of heroes.

Re: "Why are we teaming together, anyway?" I'm with Ice in the above. I also like using things in the game itself as a reason, with a culmination in something in game. Taking a game story line and applying it to yourself (or your group) like Bank had said Guild Wars does, or like E did with the whole Malta/Styrm thing, is a great idea. Your "Rescue someone" as a rescue Kit is a wonderful idea.

July 18, 2007 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger joshua said...

It's so nice for me to have found this blog of yours, it's so interesting. I sure hope and wish that you take courage enough to pay me a visit in my PALAVROSSAVRVS REX!, and plus get some surprise. My blog is also so cool! Don't think for a minute that my invitation is spam and I'm a spammer. I'm only searching for a public that may like or love what I write.

Feel free off course to comment as you wish and remember: don't take it wrong, don't think that this visitation I make is a matter of more audiences for my own blogg. No. It's a matter of making universal, realy universal, all this question of bloggs, all the essential causes that bring us all together by visiting and loving one another.

You must not feel obliged to come and visit me. An invitation is not an intimation. Also know that if you click on one of my ads I'm promised to earn 8 cents for that: I would feel happy if you did click it, but once again you're totaly free to do what ever you want. I, for instance, choose immediatly to click on one of your ads, in case you have them. To do so or not, that's the whole beauty of it all.

I think it's to UNITE MANKIND that we became bloggers! Don't see language as an obstacle but as a challenge (though you can use the translater BabelFish at the bottom of my page!) and think for a minute if I and the rest of the world are not expecting something like a broad cumplicity. Remenber that pictures talk also. Open your heart and come along!!!!!

July 23, 2007 at 7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home